Full-Time Senior Natural Resources Officer – Mining
Senior Natural Resources Officer – Mining
Department of Energy, Mines and Resources
Ensure responsible resource development practices for the benefit of all Yukoners
Location: Dawson City, YT
Closing date: November 22, 2013
Salary: $74,196 to $85,720 per annum
Join our Compliance Monitoring & Inspections (CMI) Branch which provides compliance monitoring, inspection, enforcement and community client support services for natural resource development activities in Yukon.
As Senior Natural Resources Officer –Mining in Dawson, you will lead a team of Natural Resource Officers in the Dawson Mining District. Home of the historic Klondike, this busy mining district hosts a diverse clientele engaged in placer mining and mineral exploration activities. Unique challenges will draw on your creativity and problem-solving skills as you develop and implement a comprehensive district mining inspection program designed to foster voluntary compliance and reduce or eliminate the risks posed by natural resource development.
CMI employs a “3E” (Education, Encouragement and Enforcement) compliance monitoring approach to water use, mining land use and other mineral development activities, through environmental and resource management legislation and authorizations. As an integral part of a territory-wide team, you will play a key role in ensuring responsible resource development practices for the benefit of all Yukoners.
- Degree or Diploma in mining technology, natural resource management, compliance monitoring and enforcement or a related field
- Significant experience leading and directly supervising employees
- Experience coordinating and leading the delivery of a natural resource management inspection program
- Experience interpreting, applying, and enforcing legislation and policies related to natural resource management
- Experience working with various levels of government, including First Nations
- Experience working with the placer or quartz mining industry in a significant role (preferred)
- Surveying, mapping, and GPS skills (preferred).
Candidates with an equivalent combination of post-secondary education, training and experience will be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
We are looking for a highly motivated and committed individual with excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills who is able to:
- build positive working relationships
- manage the financial and administrative functions of an office
- prioritize and quickly adapt to change as well as exercise effective problem-solving and decision-making skills both in the field and in the office
- work effectively both independently in a district setting and as part of a regional team
- apply a collaborative approach
- be competent with computers and other technological equipment.
Conditions of Employment: Valid Class 5 driver’s licence; pre-employment and periodic medical clearance; and a Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence (or ability to obtain one within six months of hire); this is a uniformed position.
This is a permanent, full-time position, working 75 hours bi-weekly.
For more information about this position, contact Lorraine Millar at (867) 667-3212.
Approved candidates will be provided reimbursement of interview/relocations expenses, if required, in accordance with the Interview & Relocation Expense Directive.
We are the Yukon public service. Every day, we come together to serve the people who live here, and to make a difference in so many ways—from simple to extraordinary and everything in between. Here, you will find the diverse opportunities you desire to develop your career while enjoying a warm sense of community and vibrant artistic, cultural and recreational amenities, all set in a spectacular natural environment.
How to Apply
To apply for the position of Senior Natural Resources Officer – Mining Dawson, please visit our website at www.employment.gov.yk.ca.
841 total views, 10 today