Full-Time Superintendent, Health and Safety
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Unimin is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on industrial minerals. Further information about Unimin can be found at www.Unimin.com.
The Nepheline Syenite Operations of Unimin Canada Ltd. are located in a very attractive location offering a wide variety of recreational opportunities such as hiking, skiing, fishing and golf. The mine site is a 30 minute drive from Peterborough, Ontario, which has a population of approximately 85,000 and provides all of the comforts of city living. The mine site is also close to Campbellford, Norwood, Havelock and Lakefield which all exude a small town community atmosphere.
We are currently seeking an individual in the role of Superintendent, Safety and Health.
Reporting to the Site Manager, the Superintendent, Safety and Health is responsible for administrating and maintaining the entire safety function at Unimin’s Nepheline Syenite Operations mine. The Superintendent develops and implements all occupational health and safety programs that meet all applicable Company, OH&SA Ontario, and Health, Safety and Reclamation Code standards and regulations. This involves management and departmental safety training and safety awareness programs for employees, supervisors, and contractors, and acting in an advisory capacity to all levels of management in respect to safety policy and standards.
The Superintendent, Health and Safety co-chairs the Joint Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Committee made up of Company and Union representatives. The Superintendent investigates and answers employee and/or Union complaints with regard to safety matters. The Superintendent arranges for comprehensive industrial hygiene monitoring procedures to be carried out, reporting the results on a regular basis to management, employees, Union executive and appropriate government agencies. The Superintendent maintains a close liaison with government regulatory agencies ensures compliance with new rules and regulations through training and instruction of management staff and assists government inspectors in their investigations. The Superintendent ensures that appropriate directives and procedures are documented and communicated to ensure that the assets of the company are adequately protected.
- Assist all levels of supervision in accident prevention by regularly inspecting work sites and informing supervisors of unsafe practices, conditions and possible hazards.
- Establish accurate and effective accident and complaint investigation procedures by following up on all relevant information in a prompt and thorough manner.
- Ensure compliance with all contractual requirements with respect to safety and union inspections of work areas.
- Ensure that all required industrial hygiene monitoring is carried out in a diligent fashion and appropriately reported.
- Conduct appropriate loss control training programs such as safety, first aid, mine rescue, firefighting, emergency response procedures and dangerous goods handling procedures and promote applicable awareness programs.
- Carry out emergency procedures in the event of a major incident.
- Supply written reports on safety matters, safety performance, risk management and related matters in a format consistent with mining industry standards and acceptable to the various inspectors and/or underwriters.
- Stay current with relevant in safety policy, procedures and regulations through industry contacts, conferences, round tables and associations, appraising management of these developments and the potential application and impact on the company’s operation.
- Ensure that the safe working procedures being developed within each department are produced in a timely fashion.
- A post-secondary degree/diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or related field
- Possess at least 10 years related professional experience
- Experience in the mining industry is preferred
- Possess or willing to achieve a CRSP designation
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring capacities
- Be a Courageous Safety Leader
Apply online at www.unimin.com
How to Apply
Apply online at www.unimin.com
1159 total views, 1 today