Assessment and Consultation Geologist
Assessment and Consultation Geologist
Manitoba Growth, Enterprise and Trade, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Advertisement Number: 35227
Salary Range: $65,802.00 – $82,498.00 per year
Closing Date: June 24, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
The Resource Development Division of Growth, Enterprise and Trade is currently seeking an Assessment and Consultation Geologist to join our team!
The Resource Development Division facilitates sustainable development of the province’s mineral and petroleum resources. The Geological Services Branch conducts a wide range of investigations which include the examination of exposed bedrock, subsurface materials, and surficial sediments including sand, gravel and organic deposits throughout Manitoba, as well as provides geoscience support for the regulatory framework and tenure systems managed by the Resource Development Division. By developing an understanding of Manitoba’s geology and geological processes, the Geological Services Branch provides fundamental data and unbiased technical support to inform government policy and decision making, mineral exploration decisions, and wise land use management.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be a registered member in good standing with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba or eligible for immediate registration as a fully qualified Professional Geoscientist
- Must have a valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Must be physically capable of conducting inspections in field conditions; including traveling to and walking in remote locations and on rough terrain in various weather conditions
- Bachelor of Science in the geosciences
- Experience in mineral exploration programs and methods including geophysical and geochemical techniques, applications, geological mapping, and drilling
- Experience in consultation and/or engagement with Indigenous communities
- Strong written communication skills to produce written materials involving complex technical information for a variety of audiences
- Strong verbal communication skills to effectively present complex technical information to a variety of internal and external stakeholders with various technical and professional backgrounds
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple competing priorities within tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with all internal and external stakeholders
- Strong analytical skills to evaluate assessment reports and reports of required work submitted by Professional Geoscientists in terms of the requirements under the Mines and Minerals Act and Regulations
- Strong digital data management skills to work within Microsoft Office, databases and mapping programs
- Knowledge of The Mines and Minerals Act and Regulations
The Assessment and Consultation geologist applies complex technical understanding of a variety of geological, geophysical, geochemical and mineral exploration techniques to conduct technical evaluations and provide recommendations to senior leadership on submitted mineral assessment files. In addition, this role uses their geological expertise to assist the Crown Indigenous Consultation process through the provision of geological interpretation and facilitation between communities, industry and all levels of government.
Advertisement No. 35227
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3G 3P2
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.