Bulk sample plant Manager-Saskatoon,SK
Bulk sample plant Manager
- Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company where safety comes first
- Competitive salary & benefits with opportunity for career advancement
- Exciting new exploration project. Permanent role | Location: Saskatoon, SK
About the role
We are looking for a Bulk sample plant Manager to ensure that the Rio Tinto’s global diamond laboratories and sample treatment facilities are designed and delivered in a timely fashion to support RTX’s global diamond exploration program and the diamond product groups operations.
The role is required to ensure alignment of the Global Laboratory operational plan with the global
Diamond exploration strategy. The incumbent will coordinate global diamond laboratory resources and manage the laboratories in a safe and environmentally acceptable manner to produce indicator mineral analysis and diamond analysis that is accurate, precise, cost competitive and acceptable to customers.
This role is a great opportunity to provide integrated global laboratory technology (facilities/machinery and practices) in collaboration with the various laboratories and stakeholders.
Reporting to the GM – Falcon project, the role will be 2weeks based in field / 1week at the office / 1 week off. You will be:
- Preparing and executing the annual laboratory plans and budgets in order to align to the RTX Diamonds Strategy.
- Managing the scheduling, production, process options and turnaround targets for all laboratory functions and determining the priorities of sample processing and observation.
- Providing sample processing capability for the exploration evaluation programme by managing the specification; design; construction and commissioning of bulk sampling plants
- Compiling and managing Lab expenditure/capex according to the approved Planned Budget
- Allocating and coordinating people and resources to achieve effective laboratory functions
- Monitoring and evaluating technical results and standards of the Lab.
- Reconciling monthly expenditure against Plans, advising adjustment where necessary
- Developing and implementing changes in processes or team organization required
- Providing technical support and guidance to the diamond program
- Managing quality control and data recovery within the laboratory in order to meet the expectations of the field geologists. It includes monitoring and improving all laboratory processes, the analytical accuracy, precision, productivity, costs and timeliness and also designing, implementing, and monitoring security policies, procedures, and guidelines which ensure the integrity, security, and confidentiality of all samples / products once samples have been received by the laboratory.
- Providing leadership in HSEC and planning and conducting work in accordance with all HSEC and compliance policies by setting and monitoring objectives to ensure standards are met, and anticipating and managing risks.
- Collaborating with RTX Exploration Managers to ensure allocation of capacity and evaluation of results in alignment to RTX strategy.
- Collaborating with the Global Manager – Diamond Technology to develop new, and improve existing, sampling processes and laboratory data interpretation processes
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Sc. or higher degree in a geoscience discipline (e.g. geology, geophysics, or geological engineering), in mineral related field of engineering (e.g. metallurgy or mining engineering), or in one of the physical sciences (chemistry or physics).
- At least 10 years’ experience, with proven experience in a supervision/management role
- Experience in project or program management, including budget authority.
- Significant Leadership and innovation experience in their field of expertise environment, preferably exploration
- Proven track record in innovation in Exploration
- Experience in managing subcontractors
- Experience in Diamonds exploration will be highly regarded
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Where you will be working
The role can be based in Saskatoon, SK. The project site is within 3 hour drive of the city with a well establish camp. You will be expected to spend reasonable time on site to be able to add value to the flexible project schedule and project delivery.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
So if you are looking for a new challenge, great location and an exceptional team of technical experts, apply now.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
Applications online at www.riotinto.com/careers Ref. RITM2821099