Continuous Improvement Engineer- Lac de Gras Mine Site
Continuous Improvement Engineer
- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety
- Work with an exceptional team of operations and maintenance people
- Opportunity to introduce and implement continuous change initiatives
About the role
We are looking for a Continuous Improvement Engineer to be responsible for identifying opportunities and growing a business improvement culture at the Diavik mine site. The Continuous Improvement function plays a key role in enabling and driving the business to deliver additional sustained value over time. Working with key business stakeholders this position will assist and lead projects to realize the mines full potential. This Continuous Improvement role is essential in enabling and driving the business to deliver additional sustained value over time.
The incumbent will be reporting to the Business Improvement Manager and the role will be located in Lac de Gras Mine Site. The working schedule will be a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off off rotation that includes working weekends and holidays and regular scheduled overtime.
Main responsibilities will be:
- Assists with the development and deployment of continuous improvement methodology and tools, in line with the business strategy
- Interfaces with various departments on information centers, and lean boards
- Assists in gathering project data, monthly reports for business reporting and information centers. Records, monitors, updates and closes out actions arising from improvement implementations, providing progress reports to stakeholders
- Assists with identifying opportunities for improvement projects and supports/develops effective project scopes, shares in knowledge and lessons learned
- Supports the deployment of Lean Philosophy by facilitation and training as appropriate
- Provides training, coaching and mentoring to site leadership
- Leads projects, Kaizen events and problem solving within the business unit
- Prepares and presents interpretation of findings and submit for review
- Analyses and reports on progress against business objectives
- Conducts site assessments of the maturity of Lean and Business Improvement while assisting in development of improvement plans
- Monitors subsequent progress against these plans
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering, combined with 5 years of significant experience with Lean, or Continuous Improvement
- Experience with value stream mapping (VSM)
- Ability to manage change
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and resolve conflicts to reach consensus and common goals
- Experience in project leadership, change management and cross functional team leadership
- Technical competency in Six Sigma skills including DMAIC, Lean, Kaizen/Work-out and process management an asset
- Excellent oral, written and active-listening skills. Ability to present to a variety of groups
- Highly effective organizational, time management and analytical skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with MS Office, skilled at developing & managing spreadsheets, graphing and ability to learn new software
- Demonstrated ability to develop clear and concise reports
- Proven ability to interact and communicate affectivity with others
Experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a range of Rio Tinto benefits, as well as the sought after opportunity to develop and expand upon your knowledge and experience with a world leader in the industry.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
Applications online at www.riotinto.com/careers Ref. RITM2804868