Copy Editor—The Northern Miner-Toronto
Who we are:
Technology is driving the resource industry in new, exciting directions, but as the industry evolves it is presented with challenges it has never faced before. Artificial intelligence, block chain technology, environmental changes, automation and electrification, and other emerging innovations promise to transform many areas in and around the industry, but are today’s companies ready to deal with that transformation?
The Glacier Resource Innovation Group’s goal is to provide the tools necessary to meet these challenges head on. Rebranded, revitalized and relaunched in 2019, The Glacier Resource Innovation Group is comprised of a core of respected brands from across the resource sector and in various parts of the world, all with a well-established global presence. The Northern Miner has been providing exclusive mining exploration and production news and intelligence to mining professionals and investors for over a hundred years. It includes a daily news website as well as a bi-weekly newspaper and has come to be known in the industry as one of the most trusted sources of mining and mineral exploration news.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief of The Northern Miner, you will work directly with a supportive and collaborative team of writers and editors who are dedicated to creating high-quality, comprehensive content for our readers. As Copy Editor you will proofread and edit articles prior to publication, check facts and research and research industry-related topics and write original content for publication. You will also assist with digital content management and print production. This role requires the ability to work independently on a broad scope of projects in a fast-paced environment.
You would be perfect for this role if:
You have a keen interest in mining and mineral exploration, business, economic trends, finance and capital markets, geopolitics, the environment and technology. You enjoy combining your attention to detail and accuracy with a creative approach to editing and writing that is uniquely you. You’re a confident Copy Editor who enjoys meeting new people and staying current on the latest trends, challenges and changes in the industry.
In this role, you will:
· Proofread and edit a variety of materials using Canadian Press and house style guidelines to correct errors in grammar, spelling, syntax, and punctuation
· Collaborate with the Editor-in-Chief and Content Supervisor/Production Editor to ensure project completion on deadline
· Write occasional news and feature stories
· Assist with digital content management and print production
· Stay current and continuously seek ways to improve and expand your skills and experience
· 2-3 years of direct experience in journalistic editing and writing
· Excellent writing skills, including proper spelling, grammar and punctuation
· Detail-oriented and organized with strong time management skills
· Able to multitask in a fast-paced environment and work within tight deadlines
· Knowledge of CP Style
· Proficient user of Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop and Acrobat)
· Experience with WordPress or similar content management systems
We are certified as a Great Place to Work and encourage a healthy work-life balance, fair treatment of staff, and clear and open communication at all levels. We are passionate about building an inclusive and diverse workplace and invest in education, and support and encourage professional development. More pros include a competitive salary, extended health benefits and a flexible schedule.
You can do amazing work here and we are committed to helping you achieve your full potential. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Apply today with your cover letter, resume, and one to three samples of news writing in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please. All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Closes: February 28, 2020