Director, Ontario Geological Survey
Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines
Are you a leader of transformative change with expertise in Geo-Science? The Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines requires a talented leader with superior relationship management skills, to provide leadership in strategic visioning, program planning, management and delivery of scientific and technical geoscience information in Ontario.
The Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines works to make Northern Ontario and the provincial minerals sector strong, healthy and prosperous. The Mines and Minerals Division is an acknowledged global leader in sustainable development of earth and mineral resources, contributing to a robust economy, strong communities, and a healthy environment.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to the Ontario Geological Survey and ensure the development and implementation of operational plans align with Government and stakeholder priorities and expectations
- Oversee the geoscience program delivery strategies, resources and data management plans and delivery of front-line and online client services
- Build relationships and partnerships with other levels of government, agencies, institutions and industry to develop and implement policies and programs
- Champion change initiatives as well as ministry and regional programs and policies
- Support and promote a productive team environment while fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, accessibility and excellence
- Provide strategic advice, analysis and recommendations to the Deputy Minister and Minister on geoscience related issues
How do I qualify?
- You are a senior executive with demonstrated success leading teams in a geographically dispersed regional setting
- You have proven operational leadership with extensive experience in program coordination and delivery
- You have an inclusive leadership style that enables you to build successful relationships with staff, teams, stakeholders and partners
- You have a leadership style that affirms, promotes and demonstrates commitment to diversity, accessibility and inclusiveness
- You have demonstrated success creating visions for change and managing its implementation to achieve results, while fostering organizational excellence
Stakeholder Management and Communications Skills
- You have superior communication, negotiation, and consultation skills that will enable you to influence and establish relationships and partnerships with various levels of government, agencies, institutions, the private sector and indigenous peoples
- You have the ability to connect with and strengthen alliances with business partners such as municipalities, the broader public sector and Indigenous communities to achieve consensus and commitment to deliverables
- You can influence the development and implementation of policies, programs and opportunities that address current needs and anticipated future needs
- You have excellent political acuity and judgement to anticipate and respond to politically sensitive situations
- You have specialized knowledge of science or geosciences to formulate program directions; communicate in an informed and credible way with clients; to understand and translate scientific concepts for senior executives, program management, staff and clients, including Indigenous communities
- You have geoscience and geoscientific investigation, geoscience applications and clienteles to ensure optimization of Ontario Geological Survey services and products, and to meet client needs
- You have knowledge of scientific research principles and practices essential to understand geoscience data collection practices and research activity; the analysis, interpretations and technological applications of geoscience data and information
- You have knowledge of with government decision-making, accountability and policy development processes
- You have knowledge of the Mining Act and emerging trends, patterns, innovations and opportunities in relevant global jurisdictions
- You have demonstrated experience with strategic planning and project management to lead complex multi-partner projects/initiatives
- You understand current government directions, priorities and economic development initiatives relating to the Mineral sector
Salary: $130,930 – $168,240 per year
- 1 Permanent, 933 Ramsay Lake Rd, Sudbury, North Region
Interview Date: December 11, 2019
Please apply online, only, by Friday, November 15, 2019, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=141317. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Recruitment Unit at email@example.com. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.