Editor-in-Chief, Toronto, Ontario
Position: Editor-in-Chief, Toronto, Ontario
The Northern Miner has an immediate opportunity for an Editor-in-Chief. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to explore and experience many aspects of a fast growing North American business.
Job Description: Reporting to the Group Publisher, The Northern Miner Group (A division of Glacier Media).
The Northern Miner, a biweekly newspaper specializing in the global mining industry, has a position open in Toronto for an experienced editorial professional with a strong knowledge of the mining, mineral exploration and investment industries.
We are seeking an Editor-in-Chief to work full time managing all facets of the editorial process. This position is available immediately.
Duties and Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Managing the editorial vision and direction of the newspaper
- Directing all facets of the editorial department, including a staff of four people
- Delegating assignments and writing industry-related editorials, news and feature stories
- Working with creative department staff to coordinate layout and production
- Planning and managing the production of quality editorial content for The Northern Miner website and newspaper.
- Ensuring efficient and timely flow of editorial content, and meeting all deadlines without fail
- Generating, developing and researching story ideas
- Assigning articles and managing the work of outside contributors
- Keeping informed of industry issues by attending conferences, seminars and other mining and investment-related events
- Copy editing and proofreading
The successful candidate will have a sound knowledge of the mining, exploration and financial markets and possess a relevant university degree in geology and/or mining engineering. Demonstrated success in an editorial capacity, with emphasis on writing and editing, and knowledge of the production process will be definite assets. Strong communication and organizational skills in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment are essential.
- Minimum 5 years experience in editorial capacity
- Excellent research, reporting, writing and editing abilities
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of the production process
- Proficiency with desktop publishing software
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills in a deadline-driven environment
- Journalism degree would be an asset
- Occasional travel may be required
Job Type: Permanent full-time.
The Northern Miner welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a resume, cover letter and two writing samples to email@example.com
Closing Date: August 14, 2019