Engineering Intern – Structural
Reports to: Discipline Lead – Structural
Location: North Bay, ON
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent, 40 hours per week
Date Posted: January 20, 2017
Application Deadline: February 28, 2017
About Cementation Canada:
You feel passionate about what you do. You made the right decision choosing your career path. The question is, are you in the right place? Is your full potential being realized, are you continuing to develop expertise in your chosen field, and does your passion remain strong? At Cementation we respect experience; we get excited about potential.
Cementation is an underground mine contracting and engineering company. We build mines. Structured to deliver design-build solutions for technically challenging projects, our people build world class shaft sinking and mine development projects. Our work requires a team approach where respect is expected and innovation is encouraged as long as safety is not compromised.
Being an employer of choice in the mining industry has always been a mainstay of our mission statement, and Cementation is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for seven years. Open the door to new opportunities and grow with us.
- Be a champion for safety, advocating safe behaviour while incorporating safety into the designs produced by the group.
- Collaborate with Operations to produce “Best For Project” designs that are safe, reflect the Client’s operability requirements first, and are constructible.
- Review and become familiar with departmental standards, ensuring conformance with current codes, standards, and mining regulations.
- Become familiar with discipline specific standards including specifications, design basis and criteria templates, design spreadsheets, workflow procedures and change management forms.
- Work with the Engineer of Record, select structural system and components, completing all necessary calculations to ensure compliance with codes, standards, regulations, special industry guidelines, company and Client standards.
- Participate in design reviews, ensuring that regulatory, safety and Client operability requirements are met and collaborate with Operations to ensure that the plant will be built in the safest, most efficient, and cost effective manner possible.
- Complete code and calculation checks of your own work. As requested, complete code and math checks of other engineers.
- Conduct quality assurance shop or on-site reviews of fabricated or constructed work to assure that quality control measures have effectively delivered work that complies with regulatory, company and Client requirements.
- Under the Engineer of Record’s supervision, complete general reviews of erection and shop drawings to assure compliance with project requirements and sufficient coordination at interfaces to other vendor supplied items, and to the company designed items.
- Under the Engineer of Record’s supervision, prepare and issue shop and on-site review reports, complete with observations and recommendations. Follow up as necessary to ensure that recommendations have been satisfactorily addressed.
- As necessary, assist the Engineer of Record in the preparation of project close out documentation, in compliance with regulatory, company, and Client requirements.
- Assist the Engineer of Record to assure that all tests, inspections, and measurements mandated by regulation or by the Engineer of Record have been completed and satisfied and have been satisfactorily addressed throughout the fabrication and construction phases,
- This position has the requirement for occasional travel to our project sites and offices. Travel period may range from one day to several weeks and may include overseas assignments.
- This description lists the core responsibilities and duties of the position. Additional duties deemed to be within the incumbent’s capabilities, on an as required basis, may be assigned by management.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Leadership potential.
- Collaborative team player.
- Effective communicator.
- Self-starter who is responsible and accountable for their work, and the work of others.
- Positively reacts to change.
- Working knowledge and skills for the following software:
- SolidWorks / Simulation or other recognized 3-D parametric or other recognized design software.
- Finite Element Analysis
- STAAD or other recognized structural analysis software.
- PCA StructurePoint or other reinforced concrete design software.
- MS Office Suite, MS Project.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering Degree or equivalent, accredited by Professional Engineers of Ontario, or other Canadian professional engineering body.
- Registered as an Engineering Intern Program with Professional Engineers of Ontario, or other Canadian professional engineering body.
- Relevant work term experience in discipline specific design of medium to large underground and heavy industrial infrastructure.
- Previous relevant work experience in mining or heavy construction.
- 0 to 4 years relevant experience.
All external candidates can apply by sending their application to https://cementationjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/