Engineering Project Manager
About Cementation Canada:
You feel passionate about what you do. You made the right decision choosing your career path. The question is, are you in the right place? Is your full potential being realized, are you continuing to develop expertise in your chosen field, and does your passion remain strong? At Cementation we respect experience; we get excited about potential.
Cementation is an underground mine contracting and engineering company. We build mines. Structured to deliver design-build solutions for technically challenging projects, our people build world class shaft sinking and mine development projects. Our work requires a team approach where respect is expected and innovation is encouraged as long as safety is not compromised.
Being an employer of choice in the mining industry has always been a mainstay of our mission statement, and Cementation is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for seven years. Open the door to new opportunities and grow with us.
- Be a champion for safety, advocating safe behaviour while incorporating safety into the designs produced by the group.
- Develop and maintain strong and trusting relationships with clients and team members, through engagement, accountability, respect, and professionalism following the Engineering Team Charter’ principles and behaviours.
- Learn and implement the minimum requirements of the Engineering Project Delivery System (EPDS) and set up all projects in accordance with it.
- Learn and fully understand the minimum requirements of the overall Cementation Project Delivery System (PDS), the basis for the EPDS.
- Ensure that Engineering deliverables represent best value for the client, are produced to a high standard of quality, and are delivered on time and on budget.
- Actively coach and mentor team members.
Project setup and initiation
- Ensure proper setup of all proposals and projects, that you have responsibility for in the Engineering document management systems.
Project Planning and Execution
Team building, chartering and coaching
- Consider our clients as an integral part of our engineering and delivery team and ensure that the “Best for Project” philosophy is met or exceeded by all team members.
- Understand the skill sets required for a given project scope and build a fit for purpose engineering team, including members of Project Services, Operations and Procurement in collaboration with management, to successfully delivery all aspects of projects to our clients that are safe, operable, and constructible.
- Work with Engineering Project Delivery Manager to engage subcontractors to fill in skill set and resource gaps.
- Maintain team harmony and focus on project vision, objectives, and scope.
- Ensure that the right team players are engaged at the right time during the design process.
- Ensure that the Engineer of Record and quality group are engaged and coordinated upfront and throughout the design process.
- Actively coach and seek out coaching opportunities in an effort to continually strengthen our engineering and project teams and improve what we deliver to our clients.
- Strive to make everyone on our teams successful.
- Understand the client’s envisioned scope, project objectives, and critical success factors.
- Develop well defined engineering project scopes, with clear battery limits, competitively estimate the required level of effort and associated costs based on previous project experience.
- Prepare project execution plan including budgets and schedules that the project team can follow.
- Develop and implement communication plans, following RACI principles, to ensure that all team members and stakeholders understand their project roles and responsibilities.
- Develop and implement document management plans, tailored to client/project specific requirements.
- Develop and implement quality management plans which outline processes, resources, and quality milestones for each type of deliverable expected during the project.
- As required, develop and implement Health and Safety plans, tailored to client/project specific requirements.
- As required, develop and implement procurement plans that will cover the procurement packaging contents and strategy, facilitate the capturing of long and short lead items, and detail the required resources necessary for assisting the tendering, award and execution phases.
- Schedule and hold regular status meetings with the Client, and with other project stakeholders, such as on-site construction management.
- Hold regular team meetings and scrums to ensure that project teams maintain correct focus and priorities throughout the entire lifecycle of the project.
Project statusing, reporting, and change management
- Maintain Client engagement, through regular “fit for purpose” reporting and communications.
- Monitor progress of the work, and use earned value reporting tools to determine that the approved scope of work is on time and on budget. For work that is not on time and/or on budget, develop and implement mitigation strategies.
- Prepare and issue regular progress reports, as per Client requirements, or as per the minimum Cementation standard. Reports to include progress to date plan forward and change management as well as other project specific Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- Check and approve timesheet entries to ensure work is distributed to the correct project and sub-codes.
- Manage and protect the project scope by regularly comparing Client requests and the work of team members, against the established scope, budget and schedule then for any identified out of scope items, following change management processes.
- Action approved changes only in consultation with the Engineering Project Delivery Manager.
- Ensure construction activities are properly supported by the Engineering Team through site visits and regular communications with site.
- Ensure that all incidents or other calls for help from site are supported quickly and appropriately.
Quality and risk management
- Ensure that the developed quality and risk management plans are implemented, executed, and continually reviewed and improved as necessary to successfully delivery projects.
- Ensure all engineering work products are peer reviewed and checked prior to release to client.
- Ensure adequate review by team (internal and external) is conducted to minimize risks.
- Ensure that all regulatory requirements are met, by engaging the Engineer of Record, Team Leads, safety experts, operations, and other personnel as necessary to ensure that all regulatory conditions are met.
- Read, understand, and implement the mine regulations for the project jurisdiction having authority.
Project closeout and continuous improvement
- Ensure client surveys are sent out and returned as part of our lessons learned process.
- Ensure all closeout documentation (As builts, manuals, regulatory certificates, training documentation, etc.) are completed files and delivered to client (where required).
- Support the development of scalable engineering processes with an eye to continually improving our ability to meet or exceed client expectations.
- Ensure that a final lessons learned process is completed with appropriate team members and learnings are filled in the lessons learned reference database for future use and reference. Note: lessons learned process should occur throughout entire lifecycle of project in addition to project closeout.
- This position has the requirement for occasional travel to our project sites and offices. Travel period may range from one day to several weeks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Actively coach and mentor.
- Flexible team player who embraces change.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback.
- Self-aware and empathetic.
- Effective communicator.
- Self-starter who is responsible and accountable for their work, and the work of others.
- Advanced knowledge of underground mining infrastructure.
- Knowledge and skills in the following software are considered assets:
- Hard Dollar, Primavera P6, MS Office Suite, MS Project.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree or equivalent, or Certified Engineering Technologist diploma.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with Professional Engineers Ontario, or other Canadian professional engineering body considered an asset.
- Certification with Project Management Institute or similar organization considered an asset.
- Experience in discipline specific design of medium to large underground and heavy industrial infrastructure and construction considered an asset.
- 10 years of relevant experience.
All external candidates can apply by submitting their application to https://cementationjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/