- Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company where safety comes first
- Competitive Salary and Benefits
- Kennecott Utah Copper has the potential to offer career advancement opportunities within Rio Tinto. Role based in Salt Lake City, UT
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Our focus is on finding, mining and processing the Earth’s mineral resources in order to maximise value for our shareholders. Everything we do is done with the future firmly in mind, so our employees are rewarded with opportunity, an open and diverse culture and a responsible working environment in which they can go further.
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organisation and fulfilling career.
We are seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to assist Bingham Canyon Mine, in Salt Lake City, to undertake geotechnical work that supports the development and implementation of medium and long term mine plans. This is a challenging role that would suit a person who has a proven track record in rock mass characterization and slope stability assessment. The geotechnical teams receive strong support from management and are encouraged to explore innovative ways to meet the challenges that go with mining deep pit slopes within one of the world’s most iconic mines.
What the role entails
Reporting to a Principal Geotechnical Engineer, the key areas of focus of the role are:
- Process, analyse and model geotechnical rock mass and monitoring data to understand the rock mass and its response to mining for purposes of excavation stability, mine design optimization and mine performance.
- Implement best practice in geotechnical engineering, mine design and mining operations to ensure safety and business objectives are achieved.
- Assist in identifying, defining and solving complex problems and risks that are, or have the potential to impact the overall productivity as part of a multi-disciplinary geoscience team
- Provide senior technical leadership, coaching and mentoring of geotechnical professionals to develop individual and team capabilities.
- Develop scope for stability assessment projects and engage and manage consultants to deliver on time, on budget, and in full
What you will need for this role
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Degree qualification in Geotechnical, Geological, Mining or Civil Engineering is essential
- Proven surface mining experience which includes geotechnical design and rock characterization
- Demonstrated experience in slope stability analysis
- Ability to adapt to changing business conditions and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels
- A track record of generating practical and innovative solutions to multi-faceted technical challenges
- Demonstrated well developed leadership, technical writing and presentation skills for capturing and communicating understanding
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Master degree
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now on Rio Tinto website www.riotinto.com/careers RITM1796922