HSE Business Partner-Lac de Gras Mine Site, NWT
HSE Business Partner
- Opportunity to shape a young, motivated and dynamic team that will contribute to the zero harm journey
- Work for a diverse and global organization
- This role is based at the Diavik Diamond Mine Lac de Gras Mine Site
About the role
We are looking for a Business Partner HSE to oversee Rio Tinto’s health, safety and environment programs, to ensure they are efficiently and effectively implemented and meet local regulatory requirements. The role is based at Lac de Gras Mine site on a 4 days in 3 days off roster.
This role is a great opportunity for a HSE professional with a passion for coaching people and developing capacity in both the operational and HSEC team risk management. Key focus is in building site engagement to ensure effective support is provided.
Reporting to the Copper and Diamonds HSE VP, you will:
- Translate business strategies, objectives and context into a HSE implementation plan
- Provide input as part of the leadership team to shape the business HSE strategy
- Proactively identify threats and opportunities to business objectives based on trends derived from data, conversations and observations
- Prepare studies and analyses of accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and contractors. Make recommendations to mitigate causes and to avoid occurrences.
- Collaborate with AoEs and Regional Hub General Managers to broker the work to deliver on identified needs by providing input to the design of new solutions and leveraging HSE processes, programmes, tools, and systems
- Keeps abreast of the delivery of solutions and HSE services against objectives and KPIs
- Provide feedback and input into the effectiveness of HSE processes, policies, programmes, and systems to the organisation
- Act as an escalation point to resolve significant and complex issues
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Bachelor degree in relevant field
- At least 10 years of relevant experience (experience in underground mining is an advantage)
- Highly effective engagement, communication and consulting skills
- Ability to influence strategy; translate strategy into practical and innovative solutions; and deliver improved M2M productivity
- Ability to anticipate future functional and operational business needs, and effectively deploy functional resources to achieve agreed outcomes
- Ability to design and deliver solution options beyond her/his immediate area of expertise, through personal knowledge, skill, experience, and networks
- Strong leadership skills
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.