Jumbo Operator – Voisey’s Bay (2017-2637)
East cost of Labrador, Canada (approximately 350 km North of Goose Bay and 35 km Southwest of Nain.
2 week in 2 week out
Provided from airport closest to point of hire
Remote site – camp setting
J.S. Redpath Limited offers comprehensive benefits
Late Summer 2017
Criminal background check
Scope of work:
JS Redpath will be the primary contractor on an underground mine development project located on the east coast of Labrador, approximately 350 km north of Goose Bay. The existing open pit operation is expected to be exhausted by 2022. Future mining from the two separate underground deposits will extend the life of this operation for at least another decade. Both deposits contain Nickel and Copper and at peak production, 2.54 million tons will be mined annually.
Phase one of the project consists of over 8,000 meters of ramp and lateral development; approximately 1.25 million tons of waste rock haulage and the construction of temporary facilities on surface as well as the dewatering and ventilation infrastructure.
The primary role of a Jumbo Operator is to set up and operate a multiple boom Atlas Copco E2C jumbo equipped with RCS, to drill and blast in a safe manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Visually inspect, sound, scale and wash down work area, check for bootlegs and miss holes, flags lifters and paint face
- Assess ground conditions at the face and implement ground control according to site requirements
- Capture field measurements using MOSS (Miner Operated Survey System)
- Align drill on line and on grade and drill to the engineered dimensions.
- Perform minor repairs, such as changing striker bars, couplings, water tubes and hose clamps.
- Complete daily reports on equipment and workplace and submit written and verbal reports to supervisor.
- Load and prime development round with bulk emulsion and electronic detonators following engineering design.
- Place guards at all entrances to the blast, blast according to project standards and remove guards after blasting.
- Maintain working area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
High School Diploma or equivalent (preferred)
Basic literacy (read, write, basic math and read blue prints) required
5 years or more experience with Jumbo Drill machine in UG mining environment
Ontario Hard Rock Underground Common Core – Full Basic (or other provincial equivalent) (preferred)
Required Specialty Modules: U0089, U0092 (or other provincial equivalent) (preferred)
Demonstrated ability to read mine plans and specifications for underground mining.
Ability to multi task and work effectively
Ability to work efficiently as part of a team as well as independently
Must have the ability to adapt to change
Good communication skills
Health and Safety:
Have the authority and responsibility to maintain a safe and efficient working environment
Follow Company and Client health and safety standards and report all unsafe acts or conditions to supervisor
Responsible for the use and maintenance of all safety equipment, i.e. PPE, lanyards, warning signs and labeling, according to company rules and applicable legislation.
Ensure permits are in place and lock 0ut tag out procedures are followed
Responsible to ensure proper use and maintenance of personal protective equipment.
Ensure that workers are qualified and capable to safely performing the assigned work
Must have knowledge of the WHMIS legislation and know how to effectively use an MSDS sheet.
Work in accordance with local legislation