Northern Ontario – Safety Superintendent (2019-3636)
Criminal Reference Check
- Ontario Hard Rock Underground Common Core
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Safety Superintendent is to provide the necessary resources and support required to enable field personnel to meet all Redpath, Client and legislative requirements relating to Health and Safety in the workplace.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the management and team with planning, coordinating and implementing effective HSE policies, procedures and process to ensure that the department objectives are met and actively promote a Zero Harm working environment.
- Continues to improve, develops and implements the sites Safety Management Systems to ensure the health and safety strategies and action plans support a safe and healthy work site.
- Monitors to identify areas of improvement and sets attainable goals and targets with the management team(s), departments and client.
- Assists in incidents. Ensure all incidents are thoroughly investigated, root causes are identified and corrective actions are implemented to reduce reoccurrence.
- Monitors to identify gaps in competency and the necessity of safety training prior to workers performing tasks.
- Ensure there are consistent methods for assessing, evaluating and documenting competency for all site workers
- Assists in planning and participate in internal or external audits
- Assists in writing all mandatory internal and external reports. Checks for accuracy and ensure they are delivered on time.
- Assists in managing the sites Occupational Health & Hygiene monitoring programs, medical surveillance programs, and hazardous materials management programs.
- Facilitates risk assessment workshops and safety related recommendations for major capital projects.
- Assists in managing and implementing the site H&S software system, to ensure that all supervisors and users are adequately trained to input data.
- Participates in daily and weekly safety meetings across all departments
- Provides advice and mentors site department supervisors as required to problem solve and develop a positive safety culture
- Develops goal setting strategies for the safety team to set out their targets and expectations
- Meets daily/weekly with the safety team to review and update any activities
- Monitors all health and safety activities and targets to ensure goals are achieved
Skills and Qualifications:
Some or all of the following certifications are required:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in an underground mining environment
Ontario Basic Underground Hard Rock Mine Service Types - Common Core
- Ontario Basic Underground Hard Rock Front Line Supervisor – Common Core
Train the Trainer
CRSP and/or CHSC required or actively pursuing designation
- Knowledge of mining industry and methods applicable to health and safety standards
Computer application and MS Office proficiency
- Ability to adapt to a varying work environment often requiring the employee to develop new and innovative work methods
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, both orally and in writing, including formal reports
Ability to work independently and collaboratively with as range of different disciplines
Health and Safety:
Have the authority and responsibility to maintain a safe and efficient working environment
Follow Company and Client health and safety standards and report all unsafe acts or conditions to supervisor
Responsible for the use and maintenance of all safety equipment, i.e. PPE, lanyards, warning signs and labeling, according to company rules and applicable legislation.
Ensure permits are in place and lock out tag out procedures are followed
Responsible to ensure proper use and maintenance of personal protective equipment.
Ensure that workers are qualified and capable to safely performing the assigned work
Must have knowledge of the WHMIS legislation and know how to effectively use an MSDS sheet.
Work in accordance with local legislation