Multiple Opportunities: Operations Supervisors, Kitimat, BC
- Excellent leadership opportunity in a global mining organisation
- Exciting challenges in one of the most efficient, greenest and lowest-cost smelters in the world
- Stability, desirable roster, relocation provided – role based in a family-oriented community, Kitimat, BC
About the role
We are looking for Operations Supervisors to lead and develop a high performing team whilst fostering a strong safety culture and building capabilities. This includes supervision of all area personnel and accountability for all area resources. The supervisors’ main focus is to lead the safe, efficient and sustainable production of Aluminium.
These roles are based in Kitimat, BC, a family-oriented community based in the heart of the Northern British Columbia wilderness. This coastal community offers a lot of indoor and outdoor recreation facilities. The location encourages the practice of various activities such as water sport, fishing, kayaking, boating but also rock climbing, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing or simply relaxing picnic in our numerous green spaces and parks.
This role is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to drive and optimise operational performance in a fast-paced work environment. Working on a rotating roster ( 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, 3 days off roster), you will be:
- Communicating and coordinating with peers the appropriate operating conditions, expectations, and targets for efficient shift change/hand over
- Identifying areas where improvement to safety performance is necessary and initiating this change within the appropriate teams and areas
- Ensuring roles and responsibilities are clearly understood and setting performance targets to encourage the necessary/desired behaviours
- Taking ownership over efficient/effective problem solving, decision making, and action at the right levels
- Participating in the continuous improvement of standards, policies and procedures
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Technologist Degree, Engineering Degree (Mining or other relevant discipline) or High school diploma combined with solid experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar industrial setting, mining, processing, manufacturing or related setting
- Minimum of 2 years Supervisory experience in unionized environment=
- Strong leadership skills
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in English
Please note: this is not a fly-in-fly-out position. Relocation will be necessary.
Where you will be working
Rio Tinto’s BC Works is a part of the Atlantic Operations of the Aluminium product group. Check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=CTp1jkRKeBI
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Our focus is on finding, mining and processing the Earth’s mineral resources in order to maximise value for our shareholders.
Located on the northwest coast of British Columbia, Rio Tinto’s aluminum smelter in Kitimat, BC:
- Is one of the largest manufacturing complexes in the province.
- Produces three product lines: sheet ingots, commercial grade trilok and sows. With our recent investment, a multi-billion dollar modernization program of the Kitimat smelter, we have secured another 60 years of economic prosperityin northern British Columbia.
- With industry leading technology and four generations of employee expertise, as well as our hydropower facility at Kemano and the Nechako Reservoir, the Kitimat smelter produces aluminium with one of the lowest carbon footprints in the world.
Rio Tinto is proud to operate in British Columbia alongside our 1000 employees, community stakeholders and First Nations.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now on Rio Tinto website www.riotinto.com/careers req23958