President and CEO
PRESIDENT & CEO – GEOSCIENCE BC
Geoscience BC is looking for an experienced executive from the science, technology, research or innovation sector to fill the position of PRESIDENT & CEO, located in Vancouver.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Come and be a catalyst for economic growth, environmental sustainability and community interests through geoscience innovation!
Geoscience BC is a valued, independent and trusted provider of credible public earth science, enabling informed resource management decisions. As a nimble and innovative organization, since its inception in 2005, Geoscience BC has managed 103 minerals projects, 50 oil and gas projects, and 8 geothermal projects. In 12 years, our work has covered the majority of British Columbia and BC’s share of Canada’s mineral exploration spending has increased threefold. We do this by leveraging our grants and investments to partner with the resource sector, governments, First Nations, local communities, academia and others. Our earth science is a foundation for exploration, investment and job creation, but we use it to also address environmental and social concerns from First Nations and local communities. We take pride in the fact that all our earth science is accessible for everyone.
Our Mission is to provide INDEPENDENT earth science that enables INFORMED resource management decisions and investment that creates jobs.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The President & CEO provides leadership to Geoscience BC to achieve its overall goals and objectives. The President & CEO is accountable for:
- working closely with the Board, staff and key stakeholders in articulating a vision, setting priorities, and developing corporate strategies;
- interacting with stakeholder representatives to raise funds, establish and deliver programs, and implement strategies;
- ensuring good corporate governance and fiscally responsible practices; and
- providing the Board with advice and counsel on issues impacting the future direction and current operations of Geoscience BC.
The President & CEO oversees a staff of six, managing a VP Energy, VP Minerals & Mining, Director External Relations, Project Coordinator, GIS Specialist, and an Office Manager and Communications Coordinator, as well as a consulting Accountant & Corporate Secretary. Geoscience BC has a current funding balance of $19m and an annual budget of approximately $6m.
- Advising and Providing Support to the Board
- Serves as an Ex Officio member of the Board;
- in consultation with the Chair, proposes agendas for Board meetings reflecting issues, opportunities and priorities;
- develops and provides appropriate policy recommendations and formulates alternatives for consideration by the Board to ensure that the objectives of the organization are achieved through the most effective and realistic strategies;
- keeps the Board apprised of issues and developments of a strategic and operational nature that related to the achievement of goals and objectives;
- provides the Board with information and briefing materials required for it to carry out its range of governance responsibilities.
- Strategic and Business Planning
- Supports the Board in the formulation of strategic and business plans, identifying critical issues that must be addressed;
- regularly submits to the Board an analysis of progress in achieving objectives established in the Strategic Plan, sets out a rationale for any variances, and recommends modifications of the Plan as appropriate.
- Public, Community, Partner, and Stakeholder Relations
- In conjunction with the Board and staff, ensures the development of positive and productive working relationships with a wide variety of key partners and stakeholders;
- serves as ambassador for Geoscience BC, representing the organization to the public, politicians and relevant organizations in BC, Canada and internationally;
- develops relationships with Ministers, Deputy Ministers, government officials (at both provincial and federal levels), Regional Districts, Mayors, First Nation Leaders and community representatives;
- develops relationships with other not-for-profit and non-governmental organizations (e.g. industry associations, research organizations, resource policy groups, science promotion organizations, etc.) in support of achieving Geoscience BC’s mission and goals;
- builds and maintains networks to keep engaged and abreast of emerging opportunities and issues of significance to Geoscience BC;
- acts as spokesperson for Geoscience BC and/or assigns appropriate staff to speak on Geoscience BC’s behalf;
- develops and implements a marketing strategy to raise the positive profile of Geoscience BC with the beneficial shareholders, the corporate community, governments, media and other key stakeholders (see also Operations);
- makes presentations on behalf of the organization.
- Ensures appropriate funding strategies are in place and takes a leadership role in acquiring the financial resources to meet current and future needs;
- maintains high-level government engagement on funding options;
- develops support for funding of Geoscience BC in communities, industry, government and First Nations and other organizations;
- continues to examine alternative models for sustainable sources of funding for Geoscience BC.
- Management of the Organization
- develops and maintains an effective organizational structure for the staff of Geoscience BC that reflects operational needs and that is directed towards accomplishing the objectives established in the Strategic Plan;
- through the senior management team, ensures there is a clear definition of the responsibility of each employee, and that effective programs are in place to foster the development of the skills and abilities of staff together with a system of measurement of employee performance, all being carried out in a manner that supports the accomplishment of Geoscience BC’s strategic and operational objectives.
- Leadership of Human Resources
- attracts, retains and develops an effective staff to fulfill Geoscience BC’s mandate;
- encourages the involvement of employees at all levels in decision-making;
- sets the remuneration and employment conditions of all employees and contractors within the financial framework approved by the Board;
- communicates the mission, vision and strategic direction to all staff and stakeholders so as to create an understanding of the role each plays in accomplishing the goals and objectives of Geoscience BC.
- ensures effective administrative management and delivery of high quality programs as recommended and prioritized by the Board and Technical Advisory Committees;
- through Vice Presidents and other staff, engages governments, communities, First Nations, universities, colleges, and industries in the identification, research, and implementation of technical projects related to minerals, energy and water.
- Financial and Administrative Management
- ensures effective financial and administrative systems are in place that maximize the effectiveness of resource utilization within the objectives, policies, plans and budgets established by the board;
- prepares an annual budget for the Board and ensures the completion of annual audit of Geoscience BC ‘s finances.
Experience: An experienced executive in the science, technology, research, or innovation sector who has demonstrated credibility with a variety of stakeholders.
Relationship-building skills: Possesses the presence, stature and communications ability to inspire and connect with the many people and organizations that have an interest in Geoscience BC generating trust and respect. S/he has proven relationships with government, industry, and/or academia and has been effective in undertaking consensus-building processes among stakeholders.
Strategic thinker: Has a well-developed ability to articulate a vision and is able to identify impacts that potential strategies will have in the context of the future vision; able to lead the development of a vision and strategy for the future; can foster alignment and support for the vision and strategy throughout the organization and externally among a wide range of stakeholders.
Operational leadership and management skills: Demonstrated ability to be an effective and visible leader of people. S/he is an effective motivator with the ability to impart the mission, vision, direction and policy of the organization in a manner that fosters collaboration and teamwork.
Governance expertise: Proven ability and experience in working successfully with a motivated and well networked Board of Directors in a policy-governance model.
Politically astute: High level of political acuity.
Business and financial acumen: Able to effectively oversee the formulation of funding strategies and take a leadership role in acquiring the financial resources required by the organization.
Marketing orientation, entrepreneurial spirit: Ability to recognize and capitalize on opportunities.
Personality style: High integrity; sensitive to ethical and moral issues; high energy and enthusiasm; positive, collaborative, confident, calm and reasoned.
Education: Relevant education, preferably with an advanced degree in geoscience and/or engineering.
Qualified candidates should email their resume to Stephanie Milliken of Milliken HR Consulting (www.millikenhr.com) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission is July 31, 2017.