Principal Engineer – Underground Mining
Principal Engineer – Underground Mining
- Be a part of World’s Leading Mining Organisation
- Work with a diverse and challenging global team
- Permanent full time role
- Not a FIFO – requires relocation in Yellowknife, NT
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Our focus is on finding, mining and processing the Earth’s mineral resources in order to maximise value for our shareholders. Everything we do is done with the future firmly in mind, so our employees are rewarded with opportunity, an open and diverse culture and a responsible working environment in which they can go further.
Rio Tinto Copper & Diamonds (RTCD) incorporates a portfolio of world class copper and diamond operations and projects. Managed assets include the Argyle and Diavik diamond operations, Kennecott and Oyu Tolgoi copper operations, as well as the Resolution copper project. Non-managed assets include significant interests in the Escondida copper operation in Chile and the Grasberg copper operation in Indonesia.
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organisation and fulfilling career.
We are looking for a Principal engineer – Underground Mining to support Rio Tinto Diavik Diamond Mines Inc (2012). The role reports to the Manager, Mine Technical Services and provides technical leadership for underground mine engineering function with a focus to develop and provide best practice, timely and insightful technical mining information for the operations team to execute. The Mining Principal will possess technical expertise in the relevant mining methods and able to take a long term view on maximising value for the operation. Critical to this will be development of working relationships with expertise from the Rio Tinto underground centre of excellence.
The role will ensure that technical management systems covering all aspects of underground mining engineering for both short and long term production are developed, reviewed and improved throughout the life cycle of the operation. These systems will provide timely critical information to the operations and management team to enable delivery of safe and efficient mining and business planning processes.
Essential to this role is ensuring that robust communication between the technical disciplines and mine operations occurs in a timely and seamless manner to ensure that the safety, efficiency and integrity is maintained at all times. In particular, this role will maintain a focus on improvement projects, management of change, compliance with all technical requirements, integrity of mine information systems and escalation of major planning, scheduling and operational matters to the Manager – Mine Technical Services and RTCD technical leaders. You will have accountability for the viability of both short and long range planning, inclusive of mining options analysis, mining improvement projects, and reserves.
What the role entails
Working on a 4 days in/ 3 days off schedule in Lac de Gras mine site, and reporting to the Manager, Technical Services, you will:
- Develop, implement and continuously improve the technical management system for the DDMI UG and ensuring integrity of information flow and timeliness of delivery for operational and management purposes.
- Fit for purpose best practice integration of geotechnical modelling, monitoring and ground support assessment and recommendations into mining designs, ensuring that recommendations are implemented.
- Fit for purpose best practice modelling and reserve definition required for development and production design and scheduling.
- Continuous review and improvement of operational mine engineering systems including issuing and control of excavation instructions to operations, blending controls, production drill and blast systems, ventilation design and monitoring, production monitoring and reporting systems.
- Monitor daily, weekly and monthly progress against schedule and provide technical leadership to the team were variance needs to be corrected.
- Provide continuous and accurate operational and technical reporting (as required) to inform the DDMI and RTCD leadership on mine safety, development, production and cost performance.
- Assist and support the Mine Operations team to identify and crystalize operational performance opportunities as well as monitoring execution metrics and escalating where required.
- Provides careful and well thought-through assessment and communication of mining risks.
- Support, prepare short and long range planning documents. From this work you will actively identify technical risks and develop mitigating controls Completes high level scenario analyses for business planning decisions. Works closely with the Finance team to provide accurate information for operational and business decision making.
- Analyses business plans and identifies mining improvement and innovation areas.
- Provides technical support to making the best possible capital allocation decisions.
- Contributes as mining lead on growth and capital projects.
- Champion the adoption of technology to improve operations and advance RTCD underground capability.
- Provide coverage for the Manager during absences and on-call requirements.
What you will need for this role
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Bachelor Degree in Mining Engineering
- 15 years of technical experience in underground mining;
- Competency in Risk Management and Risk Assessment;
- First Class Mine Managers Certificate of Competency (or equivalent);
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement world class technical systems for underground development and production operations;
- Demonstrated ability to drive, implement and manage continuous improvement processes;
- Capability to provide technical leadership to a diverse technical team and draw functions together to ensure best outcome delivery of information to the operational and management teams at DDMI;
- Strong communication and influencing skills, both verbal and written;
- Demonstrate high levels of initiative and the ability to constructively challenge;
- Responsive to business requirements in both the short and long term, i.e. balancing the urgent and important.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.