Senior Design Project Leader
About Cementation Canada:
You feel passionate about what you do. You made the right decision choosing your career path. The question is, are you in the right place? Is your full potential being realized, are you continuing to develop expertise in your chosen field, and does your passion remain strong? At Cementation we respect experience; we get excited about potential.
Cementation is an underground mine contracting and engineering company. We build mines. Structured to deliver design-build solutions for technically challenging projects, our people build world class shaft sinking and mine development projects. Our work requires a team approach where respect is expected and innovation is encouraged as long as safety is not compromised.
Being an employer of choice in the mining industry has always been a mainstay of our mission statement, and Cementation is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for seven years. Open the door to new opportunities and grow with us.
- Be a champion for safety, advocating safe behaviour while incorporating safety into the designs produced by the group.
- Oversee the work of subordinates, including regular technical review of work, compliance with company and regulatory standards, codes and regulations.
- Assess the behaviour and performance of workers, providing praise and encouragement to good performers, but holding low performers accountable.
- Design and Drafting for permanent and temporary works related to the construction of underground mine shafts, facilities and infrastructure.
- Create preliminary drawings and rough layouts or sketches.
- Collaborate with Project Services and Operations to produce “Best For Project” designs that are safe, reflect the client’s operability requirements first, and are constructible.
- Produce a deliverable that is on time, on budget and has correct scope in accordance with the project requirements.
- Collaborate with the designers, project manager and project engineer to develop design criteria and drawing layouts.
- Ensure all applicable safety codes and regulations are met by appropriate design and use of technology.
- Design of buildings and equipment which incorporate client operability and maintenance requirements.
- Provide Clients and the Operations Group with engineering solutions in a timely, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Technical mentoring of drafters and designers on engineering projects under the direction of the engineer of record.
- Source out information and consult with site personnel and other departmental personnel when required to gain knowledge and expertise in order to improve or revise designs.
- Check for dimensional accuracy and fit up of engineering designs.
- Check drawings for compliance to company and governmental health and safety guidelines and regulations.
- Develop positive client relationships.
- Assess project budgetary and schedule status and line up resources to ensure goals (project targets) are met.
- Advise and provide additional support to site/client.
- Identify risk and opportunities to optimize the scope, schedule and cost of the project
- Collaborate with third party and/or multi-discipline engineering team(s) to ensure a cohesive product.
- Research methodologies for implementation.
- Mentor and coach junior staff on Engineering project team.
- Arrange and conduct directional meetings with reporting staff.
- Participate in project management meetings.
- Assist in the maintenance of drawing books and list.
- Liaise, collaborate, consult, and gather information from site and other departments.
- Investigate, troubleshoot, and recommend solutions for site and client concerns and suggestions.
- Participate in group meetings and discussions, internal and site.
- Generate technical information with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Be accountable for drawing production and quality.
- Work within a project team to coordinate and complete designs.
- Provide input to man hour estimates and schedules as required.
- Review vendor drawings as required.
- Review and check drawings and calculations completed by less experienced staff.
- Travel to the field to collect information for design development or for as-building.
- Review project standards and specifications, design instructions, plot plans and flow diagrams.
- Communicate and interface with project engineering team.
- Support in the identification of deviations to job scope, estimation of changes and notices.
- Prepare bulk material take-offs.
- Work with designers in other disciplines to coordinate project designs.
- Setup Project Reviews as per PDS requirements.
- Participate in Project Reviews.
- Participate in creating company drafting standards and procedures.
- Understand and follow the guidelines from the Cementation Standards and Procedures Manual.
- This position has the requirement for occasional travel to our project sites and offices. Travel period may range from one day to several weeks and may include overseas assignments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Collaborative team player.
- Excellent communicator.
- Self-starter who is responsible and accountable for their work, and the work of others.
- Positively reacts to change.
- Expert Knowledge in the operation of the following software:
- AutoCAD – latest version.
- Bentley Microstation (considered an asset).
- Microsoft Work, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Microsoft Project (considered an asset).
- Solidworks, Inventor or other 3-D parametric software (at least one).
- Applicable post-secondary Technician or Technology diploma.
- Engineering degree considered an asset.
- Previous experience in heavy construction, mining or fabrication.
- Minimum 15 years in drafting and design.
- OACETT registration considered an asset.
- Previous experience as a team lead.
All external candidates can apply by submitting their application to https://cementationjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/