Reports to: Design Manager
Location: North Bay, ON
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent, 40 hours per week
Date Posted: January 20, 2017
Application Deadline: February 28, 2017
About Cementation Canada:
You feel passionate about what you do. You made the right decision choosing your career path. The question is, are you in the right place? Is your full potential being realized, are you continuing to develop expertise in your chosen field, and does your passion remain strong? At Cementation we respect experience; we get excited about potential.
Cementation is an underground mine contracting and engineering company. We build mines. Structured to deliver design-build solutions for technically challenging projects, our people build world class shaft sinking and mine development projects. Our work requires a team approach where respect is expected and innovation is encouraged as long as safety is not compromised.
Being an employer of choice in the mining industry has always been a mainstay of our mission statement, and Cementation is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for seven years. Open the door to new opportunities and grow with us.
- Be a champion for safety, advocating safe behaviour while incorporating safety into the designs produced by the group.
- Design and Drafting for permanent and temporary works related to the construction of underground mine shafts, facilities and infrastructure.
- Create preliminary drawings and rough layouts or sketches
- Collaborate with Project Services and Operations to produce “Best for Project” designs that are safe, reflect the client’s operability requirements first, and are constructible.
- Produce drawings that effectively and simply communicate the design, that comply with Cementation Engineering Standards and conform to job specifications with respect to clearances, tolerances and applicable codes
- Collaborate with the design project lead, project manager and project engineer to develop design criteria and drawing layouts.
- Assist the Estimating Group in support of tendering work including the production of conceptual drawings and quantity take-offs.
- Review and mark-up drawings for drafting and presentation purposes.
- Assist the Cementation Operations group in the tendering of work including the production of conceptual drawings, quantity take-offs and estimates.
- Ensure all applicable safety codes and regulations are met by appropriate design and use of technology.
- Design of buildings and equipment which incorporate client operability and maintenance requirements.
- Provide Clients and the Operations Group with engineering solutions in a timely, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Development of design drawings consisting of but not limited to: site plans, general arrangements, plans and elevations for surface and underground structures, mechanical installations, equipment, concrete installations, underground development, mine shafts and related mine infrastructure.
- Technical mentoring of drafters and designers on engineering projects under the direction of the engineer of record.
- Source out information and consult with site personnel and other departmental personnel when required to gain knowledge and expertise in order to improve or revise designs.
- Assess project budgetary and schedule status and line up resources to ensure goals (project targets) are met.
- Identify risk and opportunities to optimize the scope, schedule and cost of the project
- Collaborate with third party and/or multi-discipline engineering team(s) to ensure a cohesive product
- Mentor and coach junior staff on Engineering project team
- Participate in project management meetings
- Research previous drawings to ensure efficiency and a consistent product.
- Generate technical information with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Work independently on projects assigned by Design Project Lead.
- Provide input to man hour estimates and schedules as required.
- Travel to the field to collect information for design development or for as-building.
- Support in the identification of deviations to job scope, estimation of changes and notices.
- Participate in Project Reviews
- Understand and follow the guidelines from the Cementation Standards and Procedures Manual.
- This position has the requirement for occasional travel to our project sites and offices. Travel period may range from one day to several weeks and may include overseas assignments.
- This description lists the core responsibilities and duties of the position. Additional duties deemed to be within the incumbent’s capabilities, on an as required basis, may be assigned by management.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Collaborative Team Player
- Effective Communicator
- Self-starter who is responsible and accountable for their work, and the work of others.
- Expert Knowledge in the operation of the following software:
- AutoCAD – latest version
- MS Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project.
- SolidWorks or other 3-D parametric software (at least one)
- Secondary School Diploma
- Applicable Post-Secondary Technician or Technology Diploma
- Engineering Degree considered an asset
- Previous experience in Heavy Construction, Mining or Fabrication
- Minimum 12 years in Drafting and Design
- OACETT Registration considered an asset
All external candidates can apply by sending their application to https://cementationjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/