Senior Discipline Engineer – Electrical
Reports to: Lead Discipline Engineer – Electrical
Location: North Bay, ON
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent, 40 hours per week
Date Posted: January 20, 2017
Application Deadline: February 28, 2017
About Cementation Canada:
You feel passionate about what you do. You made the right decision choosing your career path. The question is, are you in the right place? Is your full potential being realized, are you continuing to develop expertise in your chosen field, and does your passion remain strong? At Cementation we respect experience; we get excited about potential.
Cementation is an underground mine contracting and engineering company. We build mines. Structured to deliver design-build solutions for technically challenging projects, our people build world class shaft sinking and mine development projects. Our work requires a team approach where respect is expected and innovation is encouraged as long as safety is not compromised.
Being an employer of choice in the mining industry has always been a mainstay of our mission statement, and Cementation is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for seven years. Open the door to new opportunities and grow with us.
Be a champion for safety, advocating safe behaviour while incorporating safety into the designs produced by the group.
- Collaborate with Project Services and Operations to produce “Best For Project” designs that are safe, reflect the Client’s operability requirements first, and are constructible.
- Collaborate with designers to establish how drawings will be laid out to ensure that the Engineer of Record’s requirements will be adequately conveyed.
- Select electrical equipment and design electrical power and control systems, completing all necessary calculations to ensure compliance with codes, standards, regulations, special industry guidelines, as well as company and Client standards.
- Participate in design reviews, ensuring that regulatory, safety and Client operability requirements are met, and collaborating with Operations to ensure that the plant will be built in the safest, most efficient and cost effective manner possible.
- At various project phases, participate in risk assessments, identifying and mitigating risks that are deemed to be unacceptable.
- Conduct peer review of engineering designs and engineering calculations as required.
- Provide direction and supervision of Engineers in Training, including technical review of work, compliance with company and regulatory standards, codes and regulations. Approve and stamp the work.
- In collaboration with other disciplines and reflecting project requirements, prepare scope of work technical descriptions and specifications as appropriate for procurement packages.
- During construction, assess and provide technical recommendations in response to field enquiries.
- Conduct quality assurance shop or on-site reviews of fabricated or constructed work to assure that quality control measures have effectively delivered work that complies with regulatory, company and Client requirements.
- Complete general reviews of erection and shop drawings to assure compliance with project requirements and sufficient coordination at interfaces to other vendor supplied items and to Cementation designed items.
- Prepare and issue shop and on-site review reports, complete with observations and recommendations. Follow up as necessary to ensure that recommendations have been satisfactorily addressed.
- Through the fabrication and construction phases, actively participate in assuring that all tests, inspections, and measurements mandated by regulation or by the Engineer of Record have been completed and satisfied.
- This position has the requirement for occasional travel to our project sites and offices. Travel period may range from one day to several weeks and may include overseas assignments.
- This description lists the core responsibilities and duties of the position. Additional duties deemed to be within the incumbent’s capabilities, on an as required basis, may be assigned by management.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Leadership of discipline specific design teams.
- Collaborative team player.
- Effective communicator.
- Self-starter who is responsible and accountable for their work, and the work of others.
- Positively reacts to change.
- Practical experience in the industrial / mining sectors (i.e. developing design criteria, electrical MV/LV power distribution and infrastructure for underground mines, communication and PLC control, electrical studies, equipment specifications, etc.)
- Good working knowledge and skills in the following software:
- ETAP, AutoCAD Electrical or other electrical design software.
- MS Office Suite, MS Project.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering Degree or equivalent, accredited by Professional Engineers of Ontario, or other Canadian professional engineering body.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with Professional Engineers of Ontario, or other Canadian professional engineering body.
- Experience in discipline specific design of medium to large underground and heavy industrial infrastructure.
- Previous relevant work experience in mining or heavy construction.
- Minimum 7 to 15 years of relevant experience.
All external candidates can apply by sending their application to: https://cementationjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs