Senior Engineer – Civil/Structural
About Cementation Canada:
You feel passionate about what you do. You made the right decision choosing your career path. The question is, are you in the right place? Is your full potential being realized, are you continuing to develop expertise in your chosen field, and does your passion remain strong? At Cementation we respect experience; we get excited about potential.
Cementation is an underground mine contracting and engineering company. We build mines. Structured to deliver design-build solutions for technically challenging projects, our people build world class shaft sinking and mine development projects. Our work requires a team approach where respect is expected and innovation is encouraged as long as safety is not compromised.
Being an employer of choice in the mining industry has always been a mainstay of our mission statement, and Cementation is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for seven years. Open the door to new opportunities and grow with us.
- Be a champion for safety, advocating safe behaviour while incorporating safety into the designs produced by the group.
- Provide level of effort estimates for proposal submissions.
- As requested, attend technical conferences, representing Cementation’s capabilities, and attending seminars that will further Cementation’s knowledge.
- As required, participate in marketing or bid meetings, to answer questions related to project scope or Cementation’s technical capabilities.
- Collaborate with Project Services and Operations to produce “Best For Project” designs that are safe, reflect the client’s operability requirements first, and are constructible.
- Actively participate in the development of Intermediate Engineers and Intern Engineers, providing technical direction and mentorship.
- Lead the maintenance and development of departmental standards as assigned, ensuring conformance with current codes, standards and mining regulations.
- As assigned, develop, implement, and use discipline specific standards include specifications, design basis and criteria templates, design spreadsheets, workflow procedures, change management forms.
- Provide direction and supervision of Intern Engineers, including technical review of work, compliance with company and regulatory standards, codes and regulations. Approve and stamp the work.
- Provide technical assistance during tender periods to answer questions, assess vendor packages and recommend winning bidder.
- Provide technical assistance during the fabrication/manufacturing period, providing procurement with technical information and support to ensure that client and project requirements are met.
- Select structural system and components, completing all necessary calculations to ensure compliance with codes, standards, regulations, special industry guidelines, Cementation and client standards.
- Conduct peer review of engineering designs, and engineering calculations as required to ensure “Best For Project” designs, best industry practice and compliance with codes, standards, regulations, Cementation and client Standards.
- Complete general reviews of erection and shop drawings to assure compliance with project requirements and sufficient coordination at interfaces to other vendor supplied items, and to Cementation designed items.
- Prepare and issue shop and on-site review reports, complete with observations and recommendations. Follow up as necessary to ensure that recommendations have been satisfactorily addressed.
- This position has the requirement for occasional travel to our project sites and offices. Travel period may range from one day to several weeks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Leadership of discipline specific design teams.
- Collaborative team player.
- Effective communicator.
- Self-starter who is responsible and accountable for their work, and the work of others.
- Positively reacts to change.
- Good knowledge of underground mining infrastructure.
- Good working knowledge and skills in the following software:
- Solidworks or other recognized 3-D parametric or associative design software.
- STAAD or other recognized structural analysis software.
- PCA StructurePoint or other reinforced concrete design software.
- MS Office Suite, MS Project.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree or equivalent, accredited by Professional Engineers Ontario, or other Canadian Professional Engineering body.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with Professional Engineer’s Ontario, or other Canadian Professional Engineering body.
- Experience in discipline specific design of medium to large underground and heavy industrial infrastructure.
- Previous relevant work experience in mining or heavy construction.
- Minimum 7 to 15 years of relevant experience.
All external candidates can apply by submitting their application to https://cementationjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/