Senior Engineer – Underground Geotechnical – Yellowknife, NT
Senior Engineer – Underground Geotechnical
- Be a part of World’s Leading Mining Organisation
- Work with a diverse and challenging global team
- Permanent full time role. Work schedule will be a 2 weeks on/ 2weeks off rotation. Role based in Yellowknife..
About the role:
We are looking for a Senior Engineer – Underground Geotechnical to be responsible for providing expertise, knowledge, and leadership in the following areas: UG rock mechanics; UG backfill (specifically CRF); design and installation of ground support; grouting; rock mass monitoring; instrumentation; numerical modeling.
Located in Lac de Gras, you will be reporting to the Superintendent. The working schedule will be a 2 weeks on/ 2weeks off rotation.
You will have opportunity to:
- Ensure safe and stable underground excavations in rock through proper rock mechanics design and monitoring.
- Assist in issues related to underground hydrogeology (i.e. design of dewatering galleries, draw down monitoring, seepage mapping, inflow prediction, hydrogeologic testing).
- Provide technical and practical grouting support and expertise.
- Manage and maintain quality control programs for: backfill and ground support (including shotcrete).
- Manage and maintain relevant and up to date Ground Control Management Plan and Mine Design.
- Provide ground control and grouting training as required.
- Manage and maintain a geotechnical program to ensure instrumentation and systems are relevant, functional, and properly maintained.
- Conduct regular inspections of underground excavations and other critical infrastructure.
- Analyze relevant data to ascertain proper performance of designs and take action as required.
- Participate in the capital and operating budgeting processes annually and as required.
- Develop and deliver internal and external status reports, summaries, analyses, warnings/bulletins, and correspondence as required by technical or regulatory demands.
- Maintain an inventory of documents, geotechnical database, reports, and drawings.
- Control and track access to documents, reports, and drawings.
- Be available to provide knowledge and service as required to resolve issues or address concerns related to geotechnical engineering.
- Expanding position-relevant knowledge and skills through continuing self-directed or employer-sponsored professional development.
About you :
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Bachelor degree in Geotechnical engineering, Mine Engineering or other related field
- A Minimum of 5 five years of relevant rock (Hard rock underground) engineering experience preferred.
- Knowledge of rock mechanics principles, monitoring methods, data and practices, and Knowledge of the design, support, and excavation methods of underground mine structures.
- Knowledge of underground mining methods and backfilling techniques.
- Knowledge of specialized geotechnical software applications and experience working with 3D mine planning software such as Vulcan (Maptek).
- Strong planning, organizational, management and communications skills.
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
Job Closes: March 31 st, 2019
Applications: www.riotinto.com/careers req25216