Senior Geotechnical Engineer – Labrador City, NL
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
- Opportunity to work for global company on global projects
- Our culture is inclusive, exciting and performance-driven
- Contribute to the success of Rio Tinto by applying your technical and professional expertise
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to provide technical support to the Mining Operations division through further refinement of our understanding of geological / geotechnical aspects of the mining operation, development and implementation of suitable slope designs, and identification and management of slope geotechnical hazards.
This role is based in Labrador City, NL. Relocation assistance will be provided with this position.
This role provides an opportunity to be a leading member of the Mine Technical Services team at IOC. Reporting to the Superintendent of Mine Technical Services at our Labrador City operations, you will be responsible for:
- Management of Health, Safety, Environmental, Economic, and other risks posed by geotechnical hazards throughout the IOC Mining Operation;
- Implementation of Rio Tinto geotechnical managements standards
– D3 Safety Standard – Slope Geotechnical Hazards (e.g. pit slopes, waste dumps, natural slopes); involves playing a key advisory role for geotechnical hazard management along QNS&L railway line
– D1 Safety Standard – Underground (e.g. tunnels and underground workings associated with site Ore Delivery System)
- Geotechnical site investigation and data collection for active and future mining areas; compilation of geological, hydrogeological, structural, and rock massdata for slope stability analysis and design;
- Development of slope designs which will maximize ore recovery and remain stable for the life of the operation;
- Providing geotechnical input to Mine Planning, Dewatering & Depressurization, Drill & Blast, Excavation, Scaling & Ground Support installation, and Waste Dump and Stockpile construction processes;
- Monitoring of slope design conformance and long-term stability.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- BSc in Geological Engineering (or equivalent);
- > 10 years post-graduate, relevant experience in engineered slope geotechnical design & implementation AND geotechnical hazard assessment and management;
- Eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist in the province of Newfoundland & Labrador;
- Ability to work closely with peers at different levels of expertise;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English);
- Safety Orientated focus on individual and team performance.
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Previous experience at a large open-pit Iron Ore mining operation;
- Proficiency with geotechnical analysis software;
- Conversational French
Where you will be working
With operations in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities in Sept-Îles, Quebec, the Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOC) is a leading producer of iron ore products. Operating 418 kilometers of railroad that link mine to port, IOC exports pellet and concentrate to customers in North America, Europe and Asia.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn.
Applications: www.riotinto.com/careers RITM2891915