Senior Manager, Earth Resources and Geoscience Mapping Section
The Ministry of Northern Development and Mines (MNDM), Mines and Minerals Division seeks a motivated individual to lead and guide the geoscience mapping program of the Ontario Geological Survey to stimulate mineral sector investment, as well as inform a broad range of government policy priorities that align with the objectives and commitments of government and the ministry.
The Ontario Geological Survey (OGS) Branch is the principal provincial government organization responsible for the collection, documentation and public dissemination of geoscience information. The objectives of the OGS Branch are to identify economic opportunity, safeguard public health and safety and inform environmental and land-use planning decisions as a basis for provincial policy and planning.
The Senior Manager of the Earth Resources and Geoscience Mapping Section will lead a diverse geoscience program that includes regional bedrock and surficial mapping; surficial geochemical mapping and sampling of a variety of media; regional airborne geophysical surveys and limited ground surveys; groundwater aquifer mapping; and aggregate resource and industrial mineral inventories.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Senior Manager, Earth Resources and Geoscience Mapping Section, you will:
- Provide strategic leadership, coordination and direction to a demanding geoscience program and a variety of regional geoscience field projects deployed annually across the province.
- Promote the application of geoscience to encourage mineral exploration and to inform decisions related to land-use planning and stewardship of the environment.
- Provide program management, including the development and delivery of annual operational plans, practices and guidelines to meet government and ministry priorities.
- Establish and foster long-lasting stakeholder partnerships and networks with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders and clients, including Indigenous communities, landowner associations, private sector, municipalities, conservation authorities, academia, other ministries, the federal government and the general public.
- Establish collaborations and partnerships with internal Mines and Minerals Division business units, other levels of government, stakeholders and the private sector.
How do I qualify?
- You have proven results-based leadership and experience managing a multidisciplinary team.
- You have proven operational leadership with experience leading a team to deliver on program development, objectives and implementation.
- You affirm, promote and demonstrate commitment to diversity, accessibility and inclusion in the workplace.
- You have demonstrated experience building and maintaining an effective, efficient and respectful work environment.
Relationship Management and Communication Skills
- You have demonstrated effective communication skills in working with technical and non-technical employees, stakeholders and clients.
- You have demonstrated political acuity and experience managing politically sensitive issues.
- You have demonstrated experience working with Indigenous communities.
- You use effective negotiation and conflict management skills to build credibility with employees, diverse colleagues, stakeholders and senior leaders.
- You have a thorough knowledge and understanding of geoscience theories, principles and a wide variety of geoscience data collection activities.
- You have a strong understanding of the application of geoscience to a broad range of public planning and economic interests.
- You understand current government directions, priorities and economic development initiatives and you have demonstrated experience dealing with issues related to program delivery.
- You have thorough knowledge of and experience with human resource, administrative, financial and budget allocation policies, processes and systems.
Salary Range: $99,005.00 – $113,156.00 per year
Duration: 1 Permanent
- Please note that this position requires travel to Indigenous communities across Ontario, including the Far North and various business destinations across Ontario and Canada.
Please apply online, only, by Friday, February 10, 2017, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=104147. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Talent Search Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.