Senior Specialist Engineer – Mining
Reports to: Engineering Studies Manager
Location: North Bay, ON
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent, 40 hours per week
Date Posted: January 20, 2017
Application Deadline: February 28, 2017
About Cementation Canada:
You feel passionate about what you do. You made the right decision choosing your career path. The question is, are you in the right place? Is your full potential being realized, are you continuing to develop expertise in your chosen field, and does your passion remain strong? At Cementation we respect experience; we get excited about potential.
Cementation is an underground mine contracting and engineering company. We build mines. Structured to deliver design-build solutions for technically challenging projects, our people build world class shaft sinking and mine development projects. Our work requires a team approach where respect is expected and innovation is encouraged as long as safety is not compromised.
Being an employer of choice in the mining industry has always been a mainstay of our mission statement, and Cementation is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for seven years. Open the door to new opportunities and grow with us.
- This description lists the core responsibilities and duties of the position. Additional duties deemed to be within the incumbent’s capabilities, on an as required basis, may be assigned by management.
- Be a champion for safety, advocating safe behaviour while incorporating safety into the designs produced by the group.
- For this discipline or group, provide level of effort estimates for proposal submissions.
- As requested, attend technical conferences, representing Cementations capabilities, and attend seminars that will further Cementation’s knowledge.
- As required, participate in marketing or bid meetings, to answer questions related to project scope or Cementation’s technical capabilities.
- Collaborate with Project Services and Operations to produce “Best For Project” designs that are safe, reflect the Client’s operability requirements first, and are constructible.
- Actively participate in the development of employees, understanding their career aspirations, and developing pathways for achievement.
- As an expert in the operation of the engineering software used by the group, understand software and hardware needs for the group, including interoperability status of software.
- Regularly review “state of the art” software developments, ensuring that software and the appropriate personal software skills are maintained at or above the industry standard.
- Contribute to the development of “off the shelf” design products.
- As assigned, contribute to the maintenance and development of departmental standards, ensuring conformance with current codes, standards, and mining regulations.
- Identify changes in industry best practices, codes, standards and regulations, then as assigned, develop and continuously improve discipline specific standards including specifications, design basis and criteria templates, design spreadsheets, workflow procedures, and change management forms.
- Collaborate with, review, approve, and stamp the work of Engineers in Training, including regular technical review of work, compliance with company and regulatory standards as well as codes and regulations.
- In collaboration with other discipline leads and reflecting project requirements, prepare scope of work technical descriptions as appropriate for procurement packages, including references to appropriate design documents.
- Assist the team in identifying long lead procurement items, provide coaching on current industry delivery periods, coach discipline engineers on the preparation of technical and scope of work documents and the importance of project schedules.
- Coach discipline engineers on protocols to be followed in providing technical assistance during tender periods. Provide expert opinions on an as requested basis.
- As requested, provide expert technical assistance during the fabrication/manufacturing period, providing procurement with technical information and support to ensure that Client and project requirements are met.
- As required, attend design review meetings, answering questions related to design basis and criteria.
- At conceptual stage, make recommendations on basic type or style of system (mechanical or electrical equipment or structure) then collaborate with designers to pre-select designs from Cementation’s existing portfolio of projects.
- Collaborate with designers to establish how drawings will be laid out to ensure that the engineer’s requirements will be adequately conveyed.
- Complete and file all necessary calculations to ensure compliance with codes, standards, regulations, special industry guidelines, as well as company and Client standards.
- Use the most current versions of codes, standards, regulations, as well as company and Client standards.
- Participate in design reviews, ensuring that the plant completely satisfies its fundamental purpose, while being operated and maintained safely and efficiently.
- Participate in design reviews, ensuring that regulatory, safety, and Client operability requirements are met and collaborate with Operations to ensure that the plant will be built in the safest, most efficient, and cost effective manner possible.
- At various project phases, assist in preparing strategies for and participate in risk assessments, providing expert opinions in identifying and mitigating risks.
- At various project phases, complete timely review and mark-up of drawings, ensuring collaboration with other disciplines, project managers, Project Services and Operations, designers, and quality group to ensure timely “one time only” reviews. Ensure compliance to engineering design calculations, codes, standards and regulations.
- Complete code and math checks of your own work. As requested, complete code and math checks of other engineers.
- Conduct peer review of engineering designs and engineering calculations as required to ensure “Best For Project” designs, best industry practice, and compliance with codes, standards, regulations, as well as company and Client standards.
- During construction, assess and provide technical recommendations in response to field enquiries.
- In providing field solutions, understand and enforce change management principals, use company standard forms, ensuring that project scope, budget, and schedule are respected at all times.
- During project close-out, understand and ensure that all pertinent regulatory, company, and Client requirements have been met, and provide necessary documentation.
- Ensure that project deliverables, such as drawings and specifications reflect as-built information, and that as-built or record drawings are issued. As necessary, use due diligence and change management principals to complete engineering design checks to ensure that all changes meet regulatory, company, and Client requirements.
- Conduct quality assurance shop or on-site reviews of fabricated or constructed work to assure that quality control measures have effectively delivered work that complies with regulatory, Cementation and Client requirements.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Technical leadership.
- Collaborative team player.
- Effective communicator.
- Self-starter who is responsible and accountable for their work, and the work of others.
- Positively reacts to change.
- Expert knowledge of underground mining infrastructure.
- Expert knowledge and skills in the following software, as appropriate to the specific Discipline:
- Solidworks or other recognized 3-D parametric or associative design software.
- STAAD or other recognized structural analysis software.
- ETAP or other recognized electrical analysis software.
- Mechanical engineering analysis software.
- MS Office Suite, MS Project.
- Bachelor of Science in engineering degree or equivalent, accredited by Professional Engineers of Ontario, or other Canadian professional engineering body.
- Masters or Doctorate degree in engineering discipline considered an asset
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with Professional Engineers of Ontario, or other Canadian professional engineering body.
- Industry recognized experience in discipline specific design of medium to large underground and heavy industrial infrastructure.
- Previous relevant work experience in mining or heavy construction.
- 15 to 20 years of relevant experience.
All external candidates can apply by sending their application to https://cementationjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/