Superintendent, Underground Projects-Yellowknife
Superintendent, Underground Projects
- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety
- Established supportive team environment
- Work with exceptional team of technical experts – Yellowknife
About the role
We are looking for a Superintendent, Underground Projects responsible for developing and managing UG projects in a safe and cost-effective manner to ensure that: roadways are maintained in good order; sumps are maintained in good order; the raisebore program is developed & followed; UG construction work is prioritized & completed as required; Capital projects are executed correctly and Diamond drilling is operated in a safe manner.
Located in Lac de Gras Mine site and reporting to the Manager Underground Operations, the working schedule for this role will be a two weeks in / two weeks off rotation.
This role is a great opportunity to join the Diavik team. Duties will include the following:
- Ensure the UG mine workplace is safe for employees and contractors so that construction targets are met with no loss of life and no regulatory infractions and, as an on-going goal, no lost time accidents (LTAs)
- Ensure Operators have the skills required to use equipment in a safe and proper manner
- Oversee construction and projects, including SCAP contractors and diamond drillers
- Interact with UG Mobile and Fixed Maintenance on a daily and weekly basis, scheduling equipment repairs and addressing problems with equipment to maximize equipment availability while reducing costs
- Provide input into capital budgets and forecasts in a timely manner and complete variance reports after receiving final cost information
- Assist in the development of short range and long range construction plans
- Manage on-site contractors associated with UG projects
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- A degree or diploma related to mining technology is preferred
- Northwest Territories Mine Supervisor Certificate – Level 2
- Standard First Aid with CPR
- At least five years of supervisory experience in UG mining or UG construction that includes hands-on exposure to mining, equipment operation and hiring staff
- Seven or more years of related experience in UG mining or UG Construction is preferred
- Strong mechanical knowledge of mining and construction equipment
- Knowledge of computer programs including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a range of Rio Tinto benefits, as well as the sought after opportunity to develop and expand upon your knowledge and experience with a world leader in the industry.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
Applications online at www.riotinto.com/careers Ref. RITM2831142